Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Geneology

 I was four when my grandma died.  I also maybe only have four memories of her.  Some of which include her making us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with homemade bread/jam and another of her cleaning a wound on my foot after I had stepped on a nail.  I remember loving her unconditionally and getting lectured by my mom that I was going to wear her out.  A term I didn't understand at the time. 

What little memories I have of her I've always held close.  Thanks to my understanding of families are forever I knew, even at that young age, that I would see her again and will see her again.  

You can imagine my enjoyment when a couple of years ago I had the opportunity with the young women in my ward to have a private tour of the Relief Society Building at Temple Square.  Because we had a connection to someone in the General Primary Presidency we got a special tour through the offices of all the women auxiliary presidents.  In one of the locations, there was a huge binder full of woman's names who had donated to the making of the Relief Society building.  When I searched for some names I knew, I was delighted to come across my grandmother's name. 

 I daydreamed of her surrounded by other women in her ward hearing the news that the Church was needing donations for this special building.  I know my grandparents were never wealthy and I softened to find this hidden treasure and the fact that she too had a strong testimony, so much so that she would donate what she could even though they had little.  Yes, maybe there are thousands of names in those binders, but it meant the world to me that I would find a grandmother's name who had been long gone.

I have had a lifetime without her, but I know we have forever together.   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...