Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The day we saved Murray



Last night Gregg and I were at a meeting for our upcoming Youth Conference. We all met at the parkway for an activity we'll be doing there. As we were talking in a secluded place, three teenage boys came walking by holding a big jug of Arrowhead water. We all said hello to them and they said hello back, then they were on their way. Our meeting came to a close shortly after and we walked back to the path when all of the sudden a man with a dog came running up to us yelling "call 911 someone started a fire!" I didn't think much of it because we were just RIGHT there and it couldn't be anything big. Well sure enough we walked a yard or two and I could see flames blazing. The men all ran as fast as they could, while our young women's president called 911 (who put her on hold....hmph). I didn't know whether to run after the boys or help with the fire, then I realized I don't have much strength these days and the boys could out run me any day so I decided to help with the fire. I ran jumping over fallen logs to where the YCC (youth conference committee) were stomping on the fire and throwing dirt to smother it. I just started throwing dirt as fast as I could and surprisingly our combined efforts contained the fire until the fire fighters got there. The YCC were the only ones helping and everyone else just stood on the walk way and watched. I couldn't believe how fast everything just started burning. I told the YW president she must have been inspired to have the meeting there that night. Who knows how much more would have burned if we weren't there. Plus, most of our homes are really close to the parkway.


We described the boys to one of the parkway cops and he said a police man spotted one, but when he flipped a U-turn the boy ran in the trees. What STUPID boys! It gets me so angry just thinking about it. We're all thinking it wasn't "water" in their jug, but probably gasoline. It was an eerie feeling knowing someone could easily just start the beautiful parkway on fire. Especially when it is so close to our home!


Nonetheless, the firefighters told us to get back and we all left with adrenaline pumping and dirt all over our bodies. I called my mom right after to tell her we saved Murray City. haha.

6 comments:

Hodges Family said...

Why are people so dumb? I am proud of you for saving Murray and I can't believe you are going to france I am so jealous are you going to stay or see Amy your cousin why you are there!

Amanda said...

Oh My Heck! You are such a hero! :) How scarey!

Staci Alexander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staci Alexander said...

You...guys...rock! You are not only hero's...but you are my hero's!!

sjhalford said...

Way to go! They should name a street after ya! It's sad we have people out there that think this kind of stuff is funny!

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

I don't know what Murray would do without you...the star of the parade, saving it from flames, what is next Lacey? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...